We believe it is important to understand why you may have been referred, or are enquiring, to be fitted with compression stockings. Compression stockings are used to manage and reduce progression of a particular venous or lymphatic problem or disorder.
Some of the most common reasons you may need to use lower limb compression stockings are to treat/prevent:
- Varicose veins
- Tired and achy legs
- Post surgery – vein stripping/surgery (sclerotherapy)
- Varicosis during pregnancy
- Heavy or swollen legs as the day progresses -oedema
- Patchy skin discolouration in the lower leg
- Deep vein Thrombosis (DVT)
- Chronic Venous insufficiency
The correct fitting of a compression stocking is achieved from taking several measurements of the affected limb. There are also many individual considerations that must be taken into account when prescribing the correct stocking such as the clients age and activity level. Some other considerations are the different material choices for comfort, durability and temperature control.
There are many styles and options when choosing your compression stocking:
- Different levels/strengths of compression – Class 1,2 or 3
- Colours – white, black, beige, caramel, skin tone
- Lower limb – below knee/mid-thigh/pantyhose/maternity
- Upper limb – glove/forearm/complete arm
- Open or closed toe
- Ready made or custom made – measurements taken will determine whether the stocking will be ready made or custom made.